After leaving Lincoln we headed south west towards our next destination of Derby. Our first stop on the way there for breakfast was the small town of West Bridgford near Nottingham. The town grew in size considerably after the First World War, having nearly doubled in population from 7,018 in 1901 to 13346 in 1921. The Waterstones is located on the main shopping street – the building was originally an electrical store owned by a local family who sadly went into liquidation in 2016 after 101 years of trading.
Now a registry office and wedding venue, Bridgford Hall was built in 1768 by Mundy Musters who was ‘Lord of the Estates’ of the area. It was initially rented out before being bought by Lewis Heymann, the son of the last tenant, a prominent lace manufacturer called Albert Heymann. The Heymann family lived there until 1923 when the house and grounds were sold to the council and the park created on the land for permanent public use. The Hall is now one of the most popular civil wedding venues in the county.